Thursday, September 10, 2009

A Long Time Coming

Today was a big day for me. I have not been able to run for the last 4 and a half weeks. (Long story...don't wanna go there) I also had to pull out of a half-marathon that I was totally ready and excited for.

Enough of the bad...the good news is I was cleared yesterday for running and had a glorious 3 mile run today!!!

This morning I was grinning from ear to ear as I put on my running clothes for the first time in over a month! My husband walked in and asked why I was smiling so big and then realized that I was getting ready for a run.

It was a beautiful, cool and crisp morning with a gorgeous blue sky...perfect for a run. I went to my usual path and had a great run. I took it very easy, but pushed a little more for the last mile. My legs have been craving that "tired after a great run" feeling. I was thrilled that I was able to easily complete the 3 miles, even after a month off. I don't think that I lost nearly as much as I feared I would.

So...I was down in the dumps and just plain mad about the 4 weeks off and the missed half marathon, but I am back!

I totally heart the band Rascal Flatts and was reminded to the lyrics of one of their songs when I was out running this morning:

You find your faith has been lost and shaken
You take back what's been taken
Get on your knees and dig down deep
You can do what you think is impossible
Keep on believing, don't give in
It'll come and make you whole again
It always will, it always does

(This song is actually talking about love, but I totally relate it to running...one of my many loves.)

12 comments:

Nicole said...

Congratulations on getting back to running! I totally understand you missing that feeling of tiredness after a good run.

joyRuN said...

Congrats on a great 3-miler - sounds like an awesome comeback.

Heather said...

So glad you are able to get back to running - it sucks not being able to get out there. Way to have a good run!

lifestudent said...

Congrats! And since it went so well I bet you are already dying for another one, huh?

Cheri said...

Sarah,

Glad you were able to get back to running and sorry to hear you lost 4 weeks but it seems like the 'ole legs remember what to do. You were so lucky to have that crisp air to run in and anyone who has read my comments on your blog knows I don't run but I still like that crisp fall weather. I miss that living in the south now.

Anonymous said...

Hello Sarah, Congrats on getting back to running! You will be ready for a half in now time :-)

Beth

Anonymous said...

I meant 'no time'. I hate rereading what I wrote and realizing there is a spelling mistake :-)
Beth

robison52 said...

Congrats on your return to running...today is the first day of your life type of thing! Don't rush your return, think baby steps, baby steps.

Tanya said...

3 miles-woohoo! I'm thinking you'll be back to your usual mileage in no time. I'm really happy that you're back out there running!

diana said...

Good to hear you're back in the game! If you could do 3 miles after not running for a month, you'll be back up to par in no time!

greentigress said...

Fantastic that you're back into running - i had 10 days off after a race - 3 days back on then another 10 days off because of slight injury - I can't imagine a month - i felt really sluggish

Winnston said...

This is great news -not just the run, but how well you felt after the 3 miles!

Now your big setback is a thing of the past. It's behind you and you have all that good running up ahead.

Just be smart (I know you will) and build back up slowly. You've got over 7 months until May. ;-)

it's good to know you're back out there and running!