Monday, September 28, 2009

Feeling Like a Kid Again

This evening I went for my longest run since having to take a month off (August) from running. I headed to a local path with a plan of doing 4 miles.

The weather was perfect for an evening run. It has rained almost all day long, but by the time I left the sun was setting and the clouds were clearing and the temp was just around 60.

The path I run is 2 miles out and 2 miles back. I ran the first half at 10 - 10:30 min/mile pace. Not fast, but not absurdly slow. At the turn around point I picked it up a bit. Since I have been back to running, my runs have been slow and fairly short, about 3 miles. I have been taking it easy, as to allow my body to readjust to running without risking injury.

Tonight I was feeling the need for speed. I had had enough slow and easy runs and wanted to feel some tightness in my chest and jelly in my legs. I have no idea how fast I ran the last 2 miles because my Garmin died at the 2 mile mark...my own fault for not charging it.

But...tonight's run was just the perfect run. Perfect weather, felt great. By the last half mile I felt like a kid again...running just because it is fun. Running because I can again. A month of no running was misery and easing back into it was smart, but no fun. As I finished my run....a little out of breath, a little shaky in the legs and VERY sweaty, I felt like I was 10 years old again....and it felt awesome.

7 comments:

spirit_in_me said...

Awesome post, I felt like I was running beside you.

Ruthie said...

woooowhoooo!

hard to be patient as you get back into it... smart thing to do though :)
congrats on 4 miles but more congrats on it being FUN! thats so much more important that how far you go:)

love you new blog look! :)

Mabry's Gamma said...

I bet you are having the "perfect" weather up there. Here in the mornings it is nice and crisp out just the way I like it, but it still is looks like summer around here. I am homesick for the changing of the leaves. Take pictures for me... OK?

So glad to hear that you are having fun back at running, we all need something to claim as our own and have fun with it. I am still searching.

Cheri

I Run for Fun said...

Yay! Love to hear about perfect runs. The weather definitely helps.

Dustie said...

Congrats! I have been on rest and let me tell you...2 miles has become the hardest ever! lol. How can i go from 16 to 2 being hard in a month?!?! I, too, am easing my way back...looking forward to getting back into the swing of things! Keep up the great work!

WendyBird said...

Whoot!!!

Wendy said...

It's always hard to get back into it.
Glad you had a great run!