Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Is she part bat??

My husband went in to check on my daughter the other night before going to bed. This is how we found her. She was in a very deep sleep. I ran downstairs to get the camera and a quick picture before we flipped her around.





It seems that amusing sleep stories run in the family. I talk in my sleep and walk in my sleep. My sleep stories seem to come up fairly often at parties and have proven to be very amusing. There are so many...it is hard to pick my favorites.

Here are some of the good ones:

1. Once in high school my mom woke up to a commotion in my room. She found me trying to stuff myself in my dresser drawer. I had pulled the drawer out, emptied it, and was trying to fit inside. She somehow managed to get me back to bed and I didn't remember it in the morning.

2. When I was pregnant with MissyMiss I (partly) woke up one night and was certain there was someone in my closet. Hubby was working nights at the time, so I was home alone. I quickly grabbed the phone and called 911. When the operator answered and started asking me questions I woke up all the way and discovered that my "intruder" was my shirt and pants. The man was very sweet and still offered to send someone out to check on me. I was unbelievably embarrassed. I am convinced that the 911 people have a copy of that tape and play it when they are in the mood for a chuckle.

3. In grad school, I lived in an apartment building with hubby in a less than desirable part of town. The building was a mix of students and scary people. One night I (partly) woke up and was certain someone was in the room. I ran out as fast as I could (leaving my sleeping hubby behind). I woke up when the apartment door slammed behind me and I was stuck out in the hallway in my pjs at 2:30 in the morning.

Any other sleep walkers out there? Can anyone top these stories?

6 comments:

Heather said...

That picture is hilarious. It's funny how hard you work to get kids to sleep and then they can stay asleep like that.

My younger sister was a sleepwalker - she was constantly getting stuck behind her bedroom door and would just keep crashing into the wall until she woke herself up.

Wilma Lee said...

She's so cute. Kids can sleep anywhere, lol.

Tanya said...

Cute picture-amazing how kids can sleep anywhere, in any position! When I was a kid, I once had a terrifying nightmare that I was drowning. I clearly remember the feeling of choking and not being able to breath in my dream. I finally woke up, and I had somehow managed to get the sheet wrapped around my neck-no wonder I dreamed I couldn't breath!

runjen said...

That is absolutely hilarious! That is awesome that you captured it in a pic. Kennedy has those same pj's! :)

Pam said...

I realize this is a few posts behind, but I had to tell you that I love Confessions of a Pioneer Woman. I think her story is great and I really like her site. Did you see her recipe for cinnamon rolls? I think I gained five pounds just reading it!

Rookie on the Run said...

That picture is so funny! I found my 4 yr. old sleeping sort of like that a couple weeks ago... just not so up-side-down.

Your dream state stories are hilarious! Sometimes I'll wake up part-way and be sure that there is a spider crawling across my pillow. I'll be so sure of this, I'll sit up and get away from my pillow as fast as I can. Then I turn on the light and search for it. My husband usually wakes up by then and tells me to go back to sleep (he's used to my spider-on-pillow dreams now). As I fall back to sleep, I'll realize there is no way I could have seen a spider in the dark. Strange.