Wednesday, July 8, 2009

My friend

Whenever I get the chance, I run at a local paved rail trail. It usually has a decent crowd that helps to keep things interesting. I also walk, bike and rollerblade there, as well as take the kiddos to the park along the path. I am there often.

For the longest time, there has been a man who walks there often. I would guess him to be about 70ish. He is the nicest man and always gives me a little salute when I pass, as well as a big smile. He is there so often that I just expect to see him. He is even there in bad weather. I love to see him there...it is just comforting to me for some reason.

Well..for the last few months I have not seen him and I have been so worried about him. Since I know nothing about him, not even his name, there was no way for me to find out if he was o.k. It has been troubling me a lot and on my mind when I am at the path.

Today I was at one end of the trail where I turn around and I looked at the cars in the parking lot and THERE HE WAS! He was just getting into his car. He must have been just in front of me. I slowed down and waited for him to look up and when he did gave him a big wave...I was thrilled to see him. It truly just made my day! He was too far away for me to talk to him, but at least I know that he is o.k. and back to walking. I can now rest easy that my "rail trail friend" is back.

8 comments:

I Run for Fun said...

Aw...that is so cute. He seems like a very nice man.

Heather said...

What a cute story. He was probably glad to see you again, too. :)

greentigress said...

How scary that he was away for a while!!
glad he is back!!

lifestudent said...

When I was training there was an old man who was always out speedwalking ... and he used to wear boxer shorts (seriously, I'm sure they were underwear) with hot peppers on them.

Strange old man. I dont think I'd call him my "friend", but he was entertaining and I was always on the lookout for him ;)

Winnston said...

It occurs to me that I could be someone else's "strange old man"!

;-)

Tanya said...

I see the same walkers every morning, and it's funny how you get used to seeing them, day after day. I, too, miss them when they skip a day or change their routine.

Pam said...

That's sweet, Sarah. I'm glad that he's back.

Sherri said...

that's cool. well, next time you should introduce yourself and tell him how it made your day. that would probably make his day!