Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Hobbies

When I was first married and before kids, I had no real hobbies. I cringe when I think about it. I worked and watched a lot of t.v. I did enjoy shopping and worked out at the gym sometimes, but that was pretty much it. I had so much time and didn't do too much with it. Hubby used to always say "You need a hobby".

Now...I have 2 young kids and more hobbies than I have time for. Right now, running is my main "hobby". I don't really consider it a hobby, but can't think of a better word. I am passionate about running. I schedule my days around my runs. My 2 year old sees me grab my shoes and says "Mama go for a run". I love it and can't imagine not running.

As far as my hobbies, I also love to bake. I dream of one day opening up my own coffee shop/bakery. I love to bake and love to talk to people...it would be perfect. I have already dreamed up the decor in my head....and it would be kid-friendly.

I also love to sew and quilt. The more serious I get about my running, the less time I have for it....but I sit down at my sewing machine as often as I can. Right now I am working on an apron...I also collect aprons. :)

The good thing about my hobbies is that I can get my kids involved. Bubby loves to ride in the jogger and go for a run with me. Tonight MissyMiss rode her bike alongside and made the whole 3 miles...a first for her! Both kids also love to help bake. Also, I just ordered some fabric and am going to help MissyMissy make her doll a quilt. I am so lucky that my kids are so interested in the things that I love to do.

So...what are all of your hobbies???

12 comments:

MOMMY-MOMO said...

thats great! we're a HUGE hobbie family! hehe. we have to many of them. Our garage is loaded with toys hehe

EricaH said...

Well I am a start and move on kind of hobbyist. Lately like you running has been the main focus. I do really enjoy cooking, I loom knitted for a while, I bought a sewing machine but haven't really made anything yet I feel like i need a class it isn't as simple as i thought it would be. I was wondering where do you usually get your aprons from because I have been looking for a good one? :)

http://ericarunning.blogspot.com

Pam said...

I think you know what my hobbies are. Stitching, eating, stitching, quilting, stitching, baking, stitching. I think you get the idea. Actually, I just bought a bicycle and I've been taking the kids out to ride with me. Sometimes I like to go out by myself and just clear my head.

Heather said...

I'm the opposite. I had tons of hobbies before Sophie, and never seem to do anything anymore. I used to quilt a lot. Not so much anymore. I still scrapbook. Running doesn't count as a hobby - it has the same priority as work, but I actually love it. :)

Tanya said...

While running is my main passion, I also love sewing. I started in junior high when I made most of my clothes for school and continued that practice in high school. These days it's mostly stuff for the house-valances, pillows, that sort of thing.

greentigress said...

Congrats on the weight loss you are so near your goal... I think for hobbies i just have running and computers, and i sometimes do crafts...
I have lost 20.5 and I have between 14 and 20 to go i'm not really sure what my goal weight is...

robison52 said...

Running is my main hobby, but I'm also a chessmaster and a bowler as well. I no longer visit the chess club as I rather play speed chess over the internet...less travel time = more chess. I bowl on a league on Sunday nights and need to find more time to squeeze in bowling practice. I no longer watch any television, although my wife and I enjoy the occasional weekend movie theatre.

I Run for Fun said...

Better to have too many hobbies than none! Kudos to you on being a mom and finding time to do all this!

I can barely manage running, reading, cooking, swimming, blogging and occasionally finding time for friends and hiking. There has got to be more than 24 hours in a day!

WendyBird said...

I'm a sewer too, but home schooling has cut a lot of my hobby time. I want to learn to make soap and stained glass windows and I definitely need to spend more time on dog training. Running is beyond a hobby now and yes, I'm a waver, LOL.

Winnston said...

As for hobbies, well, I like running obviously. I also enjoy photography, and have quite a few of my photos hanging around the house. Other than that, biking and fishing with my son, tennis with my daughter, gardening, cooking, etc.

I am the kind of person that dabbles in alot of things, but never seems to master anything.

Rue said...

Hi Sarah :)

Does blogging count as a hobby?? LOL I guess I would have to say decorating and remodeling are my hobbies, because I love it and don't get paid for it :)

rue

Croughwell said...

I like to scrapbook and read. I use to quilt but haven't in a while.