Friday, January 9, 2009

That Ginormous Stocking

Do you remember anything from your childhood that you wanted so bad you can still taste it? I do....for me it was that ginormous stocking.

I grew up on Long Island, about 3 blocks away from our town's "Main Street". There was a very small grocery store not far from my house. When I got old enough, my mom would send me there if she needed a loaf of bread or a gallon of milk.

Every December they hung a truly ginormous stocking from the ceiling. It was full of stuff that a 10 year old kid would find awesome. Looking back now, it held a lot of junk. The kind of junk that you win from the claw game, or that you spend $10 to win at a carnival. But, to my little girl eyes, that stocking was truly amazing, and I wanted it...bad.

When you checked out, you could fill out a chance to win the stocking. I would go along with my mom, so that I could fill out those chances. Every year I was determined that I would be the winner.

My parents and siblings even remember how very much I wanted that stocking. My sister remembers that on the night when the winner was to be called, I would prohibit anyone from using the phone, so as not to tie up the line. I knew I would win.

I never won that stocking. I still get teased about how much I wanted it. My sister was trying to develop some scheme about calling me this December and pretending to be from the grocery store and that somehow I had won the stocking years ago but they weren't able to reach me and I could come pick up my prize. I would have never believed her...but that is how very much I wanted that stocking. My mom let me in on her plan...I think she remembers my heartbreak. Every December when I didn't win, she would console me by telling me that Santa would be coming soon.

Does anyone else remember anything that they wanted so badly as a child and never got....or am I just pathetic?

10 comments:

Pam said...

You are not pathetic! I don't remembe wanting something like that quite that badly, but I'm sure there were things that I wanted that I never got. An Easy Bake Oven comes to mind!

greentigress said...

Hi yes, i wanted a ginormous bit of scaffolding to sing andrew lloyd webber songs on like Sarah Brightman. lol aww

Linda said...

I remember wanting Barbie clothes and they were too expensive so my mom made me an enitre wardrobe with scraps of fabric left from other sewing projects. It was like a dream come true!!

BeachRunner said...

I always wanted a go-kart to cruise around the neighborhood and through the local wooded trails. But no such luck. Instead, each week, I would imagine I was racing my "go-kart" when I rode the tractor to mow the lawn.

Tanya said...

I wanted a Ken doll. I wanted Ken because my sister wanted Barbie, and I couldn't do ANYTHING like her-I had to be totally different! So my mom noticed there was this new doll called GI Joe and he was just like Ken, only a lot cheaper. So I got GI Joe and I was mortified! How could my mom not realize that GI Joe was a BOY'S "action figure"?? My sister's Barbie doll was probably pretty happy; GI Joe is a way better boyfriend than Ken!

Stan said...

I always wanted a red rider bb gun... umm no wait that was a movie :)

Seriuosly though, when I was a kid I wanted a BB gun. My mother was against it though. So I never thought I would get one. Then on Christmas morning after all the presents were open. My Dad said, hmm there is a gift in the garage why don't you go see who it is for. It was a BB gun... was really cool ! No one told me I would shoot my eye out though :P

robison52 said...

I wanted a wooden Staunton tournament chess set and wooden inlaid chessboard badly when I was nine years old (I was a nerdy weird kid), but my parents thought spending so much money for a chess set was ridiculous and I played with my minature plastic set and cardboard board until I could afford to purchase real chess equipment years later.

Cheri said...

Sarah,

Thanks for leaving me a comment. As always, I love receiving bloggy mail.

As for your question: I don't remember anything as a child but as a teen when my mom raised doxies I had wanted my very own and was promised one until someone would call and ask if we had any left and I would have to give up the one I chose, but my mom did come through and gave me the red doxie on my blog 5 years ago.

Heather said...

Cute story. I remember wanting stuff like, and never getting it. Or, I would get it and have to share with all my siblings. Funny how now it seems like junk!

somebody said...

酒店經紀人,

菲梵酒店經紀,

酒店經紀,

禮服酒店上班,

酒店小姐,

便服酒店經紀,

酒店打工,

酒店寒假打工,

酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工經紀,

制服酒店經紀,

專業酒店經紀,

合法酒店經紀,

酒店暑假打工,

酒店兼職,

便服酒店工作,

酒店打工,

酒店經紀,

制服酒店經紀,
酒店經紀,