Saturday, November 29, 2008
Tuesday, November 25, 2008
I make tins of cookies for the neighbors, send them into my husband's work and use them for holiday parties. Last year I sent them to my brother in Iraq. I am so happy that this year he will be home for Christmas!
Here are the kinds I planning on:
1. Chocolate Chip...DONE
2. Split Seconds
3. Venetians (Rainbow cookies) (my family's fav)
4. Oatmeal Butterscotch...DONE
5. Chocolate Revel Bars....DONE
6. Ricotta Cheese cookies
7. Chocolate Truffle Cookies
8. Orange Truffle Cookies
9. Turtle tassies
11. Linzer cookies
12. Pecan Pie Bars (my brother's fav)
14. 5 Layer Bars...DONE (Yummo! This was a Paula Deen recipe)
15 Mint Brownie Bites
Well...what do y'all think? Are there any type that you love to make that are not on my list????
I am not sure the freezer can hold them all...may have to cut down my list. :)
Sunday, November 23, 2008
On another note, I was listening to country music and singing along when my daughter asked me...."Mama...what is a badonkadonk?" It was just the cutest thing. She has the sweetest, high-pitched little girl voice and to hear her say "badonkadonk" just cracked me up.
One more thing, Sunday Baker is having another AWESOME giveaway...an adorable tote bag! Check out her site!
Hope everyone had a great weekend!
Friday, November 21, 2008
My Carpet Cleaner!!!
I clean all of my carpets every 6 months. I have a thing for clean floors. Everyone has their "thing", and mine is clean floors. We are a "no shoes inside" house. My kids are so well trained that the moment they step on the door mat they take off their shoes...it's a good thing.
So...the 2 recent events that prompted this one are Bubby being sick with a cough so bad he vomits and Bubby removing his dirty diaper and trying to out a new one on himself. I swear, nothing gets vomit out of carpeting better than a good carpet cleaner with rotating brushes.
The other day Bubby was meant to be napping. When I opened his door to check on him, he was sitting on the floor. He had removed his poopy diaper and was attempting to put on a clean one. It was kinda cute, until I noticed the lovely brown marks that his little bare tooshie left on the carpet....yuck!!!
So...there you have it. If you have small children and carpets, you need a carpet cleaner (with rotating brushes!) :)
Have a great weekend!
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
But...Bubby learned how to get out. Oh no!!!! He could scale that thing in seconds flat. So...we took the crib out and he slept here for a night or two...
See the purple pillow??? That belongs to MissyMiss. I made them each two pillows and that one belongs to her. For some reason Bubby is VERY attached to it and sleeps with it every night.
We did get Bubby a big boy bed. Here it is:
Just look at that little face!
He was so excited to have it. It took him some time to get used to sleeping there. For many a night he enjoyed the freedom of being able to get out of bed.
Once when he was supposed to be napping I found him naked with a tube of Desitin. To say he made a mess would be a huge understatement.
But, he seems to have gotten used to the bed and getting out has lost its luster...thank goodness!!
On another note, Sunday Baker is having a great giveaway! Check it out!
Sunday, November 16, 2008
O.k...here is the background for my question. I was trying on some item in Ann Taylor LOFT (my fav!!) There was a woman in the room next to me and her husband or boyfriend (I am not sure which) was waiting right outside for her. After she would try on each item she would go out and show him and he actually said things like "You are definitely getting that!" and "I really like that on you." and "I can get the other size for you." What the heck!?!???!?!?!?!? My husband does not come clothes shopping with me, which is a good thing. He does not believe in browsing. His philosophy is go straight to what you need, grab it, pay and leave. What are other people's husbands like? Like mine or like the guy outside the fitting room? I am very interested to know... :)
Friday, November 14, 2008
O.k...time for another edition of "Friday Fav". This week's Friday Fav is.......
I realize that it is just completely domestic, but I LOVE aprons!! I just can't help myself...I see a cute apron and must have it! I love new aprons, vintage aprons, homemade aprons. I even have a book all about aprons. Here are some of my favorites:
I picked up this cute vintage one at a yard sale. I just love the pink and black combo.
I just got this one at a craft fair. I thought it was perfect for "cookie season". I could have just made it myself, but I wasn't sure I would finish it in time, so I just bought it.
I made this one myself! The pattern came from "The Apron book". I was so pleased with the results.
This one is really special to me. My mom handed it down to me. She used to wear it at the holidays...now I wear it at the holidays. It is nothing fancy, but one of my favorites.
There is a lady who makes the CUTEST aprons and sells them at a craft fair that is held here the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I go every year with my mom and daughter and whoever else joins us that year. I bought this one from her...it is just too cute!
I also got this one from her. Actually, I told my mom I liked it and she bought it and gave it to me for Christmas. It is reversible!
I also bought this one from her. I LOVE to bake, but am not a very good cook and always am hoping for takeout. :)
I have hooks in my dining room to hang 4 aprons at a time. I rotate them whenever I get bored of the current aprons. (I must add a disclaimer here...I did not choose that wall paper. The people we bought the house from did. I am not a wall paper person. We are leaving it there for now, as we had other more important projects when we first moved in. At some point that will all come down)
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
I must admit that yes, my bike is very dorky. From the kickstand, to the huge seat, to the bag on the front...it just screams dork. But, I have gotten to a point in my life where I just don't care...I love that bike! It is cute, has a very comfy seat and the bag on the front holds keys, phone, iPod, etc. My husband is a serious mountain biker and teases me about my bike mercilessly. I will never stop sticking up for me "baby bluey".
Monday, November 10, 2008
1. I love cupcake stuff....cupcake sugar bowls, cupcake plates, cupcake hats, cupcake shirts for MissyMiss, etc. I cannot help myself when I see something with a cupcake on it.
2. I love to organize. My label maker is one of my favorite possessions. I get very excited when I stroll down the rubbermaid bin aisle of Target.
3. I am addicted to chocolate...seriously. I don't think a day goes by that I don't have chocolate. I simply cannot get enough.
4. I have 2 brothers and 2 sisters...and we all get along. No one lives near each other...we are all spread out over the US and Canada. When we do all get together it is such an amazing time. After having 2 kids of my own, I have a new found respect and admiration for my mom. Some days I feel I can barely handle 2...how did she ever manage 5?
5. I have an awful crush on Bobby Flay...I just can't help it. Anyone else out there think that he is just adorable?!?! And....I recently found out he is a marathon runner!
6. I LOVE Christmas. A local radio station play nothing but Christmas music starting the day after Thanksgiving. They do "preview" weekends in November...so we listened to Christmas music all weekend...the kids loved it, it drove my husband crazy. I have already started watching Christmas movies. This weekend I will start with my baking and freezing...I just love Christmas!
7. In my high school yearbook I said that in 10 years I saw myself as a physical therapist and married with 2 kids...and I was right! I am currently taking time off from work until my youngest goes to kindergarten and then I will go back part-time. I think it is awesome that I am where I had hoped to be in life....and so very happy to be here.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
See this delicious popcorn mix...I found it at Wal-Mart and it was yummo! It was toffee popcorn, chocolate drizzle and candy corn...perfect for a fall time party. That crystal bowl is one of my absolute favorites...I got it a garage sale for 5 dollars!
These are my famous "Split Second cookies". They are a family recipe. I have such wonderful memories of my mom making them every year for Christmas. I baked them the other night and my husband agreed that it smelled like Christmas in the house. I will post the recipe when I start my Christmas cookie posts...so stay tuned!
Below is my pumpkin bread. I bought the most adorable bread mold pan at Williams Sonoma...the pumpkin bread looks like pumpkins in a patch. It is not the best picture, but you get the idea. You can also see the Candy Cookie Cups in the picture. My sister-in-law made these and I loved them...I make them often and they are always a hit.
The Tupperware party was a hit! In addition to the food, I also had coffee and soda. I had bought Peppermint Mocha and Gingerbread creamers. The Gingerbread one was the favorite. I can't wait until the Tupperware comes in...I bought some canisters to organize my flour, sugar, etc. Hopefully I can get everything in order before Christmas cookie season is in full swing.
Tuesday, November 4, 2008
Sunday, November 2, 2008
I ended up doing 7 miles and today and felt great...very strong and no aches. It was such a gorgeous day that as I ran I started to think how lucky I am.
I am lucky:
- to have woken up on such a beautiful fall day
- to have a wonderful husband who is happy to stay home with the kids while I run
- to be healthy and able to easily complete a 7 mile run
- to have a wonderful family and warm shower to come home to
Hope everyone had a good weekend!